Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Smelly Runs

I know it's kind of a gross title but it's not what you think it is.

I've started to run more lately.

The sunshine is something I cannot deny & it's been calling me outside almost every day this week to run.

Plus, running makes my legs a good kind of sore that I seriously can't get from anything other than 500 lunges & you know I'm not doing that.

But there's more.

My sense of smell is like that of a hound dog. 

Maybe not really, but pretty close. 

Sometimes it's a bad thing like when the dog pees in the bed and after multiple times of washing the sheets I can still smell the pee, but most of the time, I love it.

Smells are like heuristics for me. They remind me of people and events that I love & loved. 

Every time I smell Ralph Lauren Romance I think of my Nana because she always wore it.

Every once in a while I catch a wiff of something that smells like the Dining Room at the camp I worked at for a couple summers

& today while I was running, smells played a huge part in the extra 5 minutes I ran.

I smelled a new house being painted, fresh mulch and flowers.

I smelled new projects getting done and a long, fun summer on the way 

& that was enough to keep me running because pretty soon I'm going to smell the gas from the jet ski and the chlorine in the pools and I'm gonna be ready for a bathingsuit.

So I'll keep having ... smelly runs.


Photobucket

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

The title of this post definitely made me laugh! Good for you for getting out there and running, swimsuit season is right around the corner and I know I'm scared! ha! Hope you have had a great day!

Anonymous said...

SO glad this post wasn't about the smelly runs, but something else. Whew!

Leah said...

This made me giggle! haha. I love running outside in the springtime, the fresh, new smells are so inspiring after wintertime! :)

Unknown said...

HAHAHA thats clever :-)

ashley said...

This is great! ha! I looove the title. That's my favorite part of running outside!! I am training for a half marathon (dec 4th) and like you, it's one of best motivators!!