Friday, June 14, 2013

A lesson in patience.

I got a lesson the other day I don't think I'll be forgetting anytime soon, because although the lady probably had no clue she was teaching me something, she was & it has made me think a lot. 

So I'll paint the picture for you.

It was a gorgeous, sunny afternoon & a day our little puppy Lucy went to daycare. We let big ole' George stay home with me though - he doesn't need much attention & would much rather stay home than go to daycare while Lucy loves daycare and needs to release energy. But even though I know he prefers to stay home, I get "mom guilt" if I don't do something "fun" with him during the day so I was taking him on a long walk about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, just before I knew my mom would return home with Luc.

George and I were on the middle of the walk which meant he was tired and had finally stopped pulling me (a 90 pound dog pulling you isn't any joke) so I was really starting to enjoy it. Like I said, it was a pretty day & we were strolling along when we passed a house I've always admired. This house is a one-story that looks like it's probably really big inside. It's really inviting and well kept and has a gorgeous large shade tree in the front yard. I've just always liked it.

And when we walked past, a lady was out front working with her little dog working with her.

I don't know, maybe I was just in a really good mood or maybe it was just because the weather was perfect but the setting just seemed so happy.

"Your yard is so pretty!", I said. "I've always loved this house!"

"Thanks!," she said. "I went from a tiny apartment, to a bigger apartment, to this, so this feels huge! I saved for 20 years for this!"

And right in that moment, I learned the lesson of patience.

You know, this house isn't a huge house. It's a modest house in an older neighborhood. It's beautiful, but not fancy. And yet, this woman saved for 20-years to be able to afford it. It's her pride and joy.

And that's why she works so hard to make it beautiful. That's why she adores it. Because she worked so hard to have it.

All too often I want things right.this.minute. I think we all do, ya know? That's why we have credit cards. I don't want to save. I don't want to wait. I want it now. 

But on that day, I saw how great the reward is when you wait & work for something and I want to do a little more waiting and a lot less being impatient.
Photobucket

No comments: