Sunday, August 5, 2012

Six years ago today.

My sweet Nana went to heaven six years ago today on a Sunday just like this one.

We found out right before I went on spring break my freshman year of high school that she had cancer but she had one of the best oncologists in the United States & chose to do chemo so she could see me graduate high school - that was her goal.

 One day, the doctor said she was doing really well & just days later he said the cancer was everywhere & she only had a few months to live.

He was right. 

She made it five months - longer than any of us ever thought she would - and then her body finally gave up the fight.

For the whole time she was sick, my dad stayed at her house to take care of her. Because of him, she never had to go to Hospice or the hospital - it's one thing I'm always so proud of him for. 

On August 5th 2006, my mom, brother & I went to church and then went to Nan's to see her even though she had been in a coma for days. When we arrived at her door that day, my dad answered with tears in his eyes & told us she was gone. He had gone into her room at six in the morning to give her some medicine and at nine he went in and she was gone. 

Just days before, I had gone in her room & told her everything I loved about her. I told her she was my hero and that I loved her so much. I told her I would wear the rings she gave me every single day & I'd never forget her.

That day, Kyle & I went in her room together to take one last look at the body that had carried her sweet spirit. I made a point to take a mental snapshot of her beautiful hands because I loved them so much and it was the last time I'd see them - that snapshot is still there, the one thing on her that still looked the same as it did before cancer took her over.

I'm still fulfilling my end of the deal - not a day goes by I don't think of my sweet, sweet Nan. Not a day goes by I don't think about how lucky I was to have her - a grandma who would've given me the world if she could've; who taught me more about how to treat others than anyone ever has.

Six years ago today, one of the best gifts I've ever been given was ripped away from me but I know it won't be long until I see her again & we'll spend eternity together.





Photobucket

No comments: