Monday, July 9, 2012

Home away from Home

Last week was our annual trip to Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina. We've been going to that little island every summer except one as long as I've been alive. Actually, my life started there if you know what I'm sayin'.

When we drive across the bridge to the island and the causeway is underneath us & the ocean is in front of us, when the surf shops & the ice cream shop & the putt-putt place come into view - all exactly the same as they were the year before - it feels like we've come home.

For a week, we hang out with our family & maybe a few boyfriends or girlfriends thrown in here or there. We take naps when we want to, go on walks when we want to & do whatever else our hearts desire whenever we want to do them. It's a week of heaven.

This year, I really focused even more on the things I adore about beach week.  I love how southern our whole family is talking about youngin's & praying before every single meal without fail. I love the way the beach looks in the evening when everyone else has gone in. I love sharing a room with my cousin Morgan & how for a week, we're like sisters. & I love the outside shower - coming in off the beach & walking straight to the shower where the wind whips under the door & the ocean sings.

I love our beach week.

But, I also love home - my routine & my friends. If I lived at the beach, maybe I wouldn't appreciate it so much. So as much fun as I had, I'm glad to be home & I can't wait for next year.

 My brother couldn't make it from L.A. but that didn't stop him from the beach tradition of celebrating his birthday with our cousin Aubree via Skype.

My cousin, Matt - Broadway at the Beach - Myrtle Beach






Photobucket

1 comment:

Caitlin Cavallaro said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome time! I love the beach and nothing's better than spending a week with some of the people you love the most!