Monday, April 30, 2012

Takes One to Know One

A few weeks ago, my friend Caitlin asked me to join her in the Out of the Darkness walk for suicide prevention Saturday. Her good friend took her life last year as a sophomore in college after being raped by a football player & not knowing how to handle it & the walk just one way Caitlin can honor her friend. 

Normally, I would say I would think about it or that I had something else to do but after reading Bloom, I've kind of taken on a different perspective on the friendship thing. I've decided that if I want to have amazing friends, I need to be an amazing friend first.

So, I used my Saturday afternoon to walk 3.2 miles in remembrance of my friend's friend who I never knew. No, I never knew Lizzie. But what I do know is that Caitlin is a great friend and this walk meant  a lot to her. & I think it meant a lot that I was there and made something that was a big deal to her a big deal to me.

Being a good friend takes work but having a good friend is so, so worth it.

It takes one to know one.

Caitlin & I



Lizzy's walkers & her parents on the far left.
Photobucket

No comments: