Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Update!

Hey guys! I know, I know, it's been a stupid long time since I've written anything of any interest, so I'm going to attempt to jump back on the bloggy wagon today with an update.

A lot has happened in the last three weeks!

1.) Da Break-up

haha no, it wasn't that bad, but it's good to have some comic relief anyway.
College brings a lot of changes, and for the first time in the 5 years we've been together, I'm not going to school where Drew goes.
There's a lot to be said for separation.
I've finally realized that I am capable of being my own person separate from him & that maybe I want to try it.
So for now, Drew & I still talk every day & we're still friends but we have nothing that says we have to hang out ever.
We're just doin' what feels right, when it feels right.
That's all you can ask for, huh?

2.) Half Day With a Pro

Butler offers this really cool program called half day with a pro where as a PR student, I was hooked up with a PR pro, got to spend the day with him & see the ins and outs of his career. It's a great networking tool for the future.

I got paired with this guy:

Kirk Stelsel, a 2005 Butler grad & a PR pro at Precast in Indy.
He was seriously awesome.
I walked into a big, beautiful building that day & although I was nervous, Kirk was waiting happily for me & was very welcoming.
He introduced me to seriously everyone in the firm (which will be seriously helpful for the future) and then gave me a real life writing prompt & gave me some tips.
He assured me that if I ever needed any help finding an internship, he knows everyone in the business & then emailed me the next day saying how much he enjoyed having me, how impressed the firm was with me (thank God, because I was faking it the whole time ... I was SO nervous) and telling me to stay in touch.
I feel really lucky to have been a part of such an awesome half day!

3.) I Became a staff member of Butler's Student-Run PR Firm

Let me just start by saying, no, I'm not awesome. I have a lot of these connections because I'm lucky enough to have an awesome mentor in my mom's best friends daughter who's the head of the PR firm here, the president of PRSSA & has landed some of the best internships in Indy.

So anyway, she asked me to apply to be on staff at Rise, Butler's PR firm.
I did & I got a position!
It has added a little bit of stress to my schedule, because for a while, my inbox was never empty with people needing to be contacted or things needing to be written, but I have already learned SO much!!

I'm stupid excited about having such an awesome opportunity.

4.) Decided That I Want To Become A Group Fitness Instructor

ok so, I'm kinda lying. I've always known I wanted to be a group fitness instructor.

Fitness is something I feel really passionate about & if I can get paid doing something I love, then what the heck?! Why wouldn't I do it?
So, I emailed the head of the group fitness classes at Butler's HRC & told her that I would be interested in teaching.
After filling out an application, I met with her & she was awesome.
She gave me lots of options for what I could do from being a control desk worker to being a group fit instructor to being a personal trainer.
Although I would love to be a personal trainer some day, becoming certified to be a group-fitness instructor will definitely be enough for me right now.
I'm absolutely pumped about starting to get paid to do something that I love!

5.) I've Started to Fail Algebra.

Remember when I wrote the post about how I was going to have a 4.0? Yeeeeaaahhhh well, that was before I realized that my brain literally does not work when it comes to algebra.
No, it's not algebra 5, no, it's not college algebra x's 1000, no, this is plain old, did this in 7th grade, algebra.
& I CANT DO IT.
On Thursday, I will be hiring a tutor, because I honestly can't do it & I have to have a 2.75 GPA in order to rush.
& If I can't rush, I'm getting a one way to Mexico

6.) It's Started to Get Dark Out Earlier & Be Just Plain YUCK Outside

... & I'm seriously prone to seasonal depression.
So, the last 2 weeks have been a bit of a challenge, but I'm learning to combat it.
I'm learning that if I workout an hour or two every night at the gym where the lights aren't the gross ones that I cant think of the name of & where the endorphins are crazy good, I'm okay.
I also know that 10 minutes in a tanning bed once a week makes a world of difference for me.

So there you go folks, that's whats been going on with me.
Life has been kinda crazy lately so I haven't been writing much, but I have a whole week off next week so hopefully I will get lots of blogging done.

Are you getting excited about turkey-induced comas??
I am!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I missed you :)
Super jealous of your fitness instructor journey...maybe just jealous that you work out and I hate it.