Saturday, September 4, 2010

This is how it happens.

This folks, is how the freshman fifteen monster will totally fricken' blind side you if you're not careful.

I have to point out that this is the lunch of my idancefor12hoursaday roommate so she can eat this way, but for the majority of us, a lunch like this spells Death.

I spend about 4 hours a day in classes, about 5 studying, and a whole hell of a lot of time just hanging out in my room. (and my desk sits right by my big plastic drawer which holds all of the snacks.) I know that if I'm not careful, I'll be going home for christmas break looking like Santa Clause himself, so I have to be careful.

Unfortunately, the cafeteria food here pretty much sucks. Ok, you got me, all cafeteria food pretty much sucks. So, I have a very weird and bad eating pattern that I wouldn't recommend for most people. On the flip side though, the food is so gross that I really only go to the cafeteria for oatmeal in the mornings a couple times a week, so I feel like since I'm eating less I can eat more junk. Not ideal.

If I had advice for a college freshman about how to avoid the freshman fifteen, I would just say to remember that its all about this equation: Calories in - Calories out. I mean, if you're going to eat a candy bar one day or have a big of chips, just get to the gym for an hour that day. Try to write down what you eat and stick to around 1,200 calories. Also, if you're like me & hate the cafeteria food, at least take advantage of the fact that you're probably paying for the food whether you eat it or not & take some fruit and stuff back to your room. Make it your goal to get at least 1 fruit and 1 vegetable a day and drink a lot of water.

Oh yeah, and if you drink? Don't eat while you're drinking. Huge mistake. And the bread soaking up the alcohol thing? It doesn't really work that well. Eat early and go out later. Try to dance off some calories and whether you drink or not, Don't Eat Before Bed!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thank you for that comment! Your blog is looking quite wonderful as well ;)

And thank you for this post... Everything you said is so true. I think it's a lot easier to follow the simple advice from a peer or friend than to struggle with complicated diets and methods and routines formed by professionals. Your little equation is really all you need... That, and a little motivation and determination :)