Sunday, November 6, 2011

Down With The Sickness

So many girls I know are "down with the sickness" ... the sickness that is being a doormat for everyone.

I was sitting at a high school football game the other night listening to a mom talk about how her high school daughter's boyfriend talked to her like crap and that girl? Well she just did whatever she could do to try to make it better, to try to make him not mad at her even if it wasn't her who did anything wrong.

That gave me the inspiration for this post.

Hear me out when I say this, if you read no further, being nice and being a doormat with no backbone are two different things. The first is a good quality to possess, the second is not. 

Ladies, people have issues that we cannot fix, and at some point? we need to let go of those things and realize that it isn't us, it's them.

Sure, if you have messed up, by all means apologize & do whatever you can to make it better.

But know the difference.

You are way too precious to get talked down to, to be looked over, to be treated like anything less than the gem that you are.

& people will forever treat you the way you let them treat you. They will determine your worth based on how what you think you're worth. It shows.

So for pete's sake girls, stand up for yourselves, be your own best advocate. Because if you aren't, who will? And I'm tired of seeing awesome girls getting treated poorly simply because they let it happen.


Oh & p.s. ... It took me a long time to get here. I used to be that girl too. So if you are, don't take offense to this ... just please, stand up for yourself.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I needed to hear something like this today. Thank you :-)

Amanda said...

I was that girl/woman...I'm no longer. 2 failed marriages later, I have my forever. Yes, I'm not yet 30 and I am on my 3rd (and final) marriage. Why? Because I was the doormat. I let people change me. I was "liked" and would change to someone I'm not. It leads to unhappiness and turmoil.
I finally started being ME, FOR ME. And as soon as I was comfortable being ME, I found true love. Actual true love.
Being ME, loving myself and who I am, I found someone who loves that exact same person. My husband has never asked me to change.
Wonderful words, wonderful post. I hope those that need to read it will, and will take heed.

Amanda