Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pretty, Pretty Princess.

I've seen a few blog post and things on the news recently about people being concerned about their daughters playing with princess stuff and baby dolls for fear of scaring them for life and making them think all they can ever do is be a princess or a mom. 

I think this is crazy, for reals. 

If I have a daughter, I'm going to dress her in pink ... maybe even a tutu! I know, the horror!

Source: etsy.com via Jennifer on Pinterest


 And? I hope my Christmas tree is brimming with things like baby dolls and strollers, if that's what she likes. 

Not because the only thing I ever want her to be is a mom, but because I'm not even going to worry about it. 

I'll probably also put her in ratty old blue jeans and tell her to play outside. 

I will tell her she can be whatever she wants to be whether god forbid (ha!) it's a stay-at-home mom or a car mechanic. 

I'm pretty sure it will be up to me to let my daughter know she can be whatever she wants and I don't think letting her dress up as a princess or push around a baby stroller is going to make her destined to be barefoot and pregnant, only capable of thinking about what she's going to make for dinner that night.

Have you been noticing this?? What are your thoughts?
Photobucket

5 comments:

Aly @ Analyze This said...

I have seen this around the blog world, too! Letting your kid create their own identity and independence is the responsibility as parents! Encouragement and love is needed along the way! You will make an awesome Mom one day, I just know it!

Unknown said...

ridiculous. i grew up with all boy cousins and those were the only kids i played with and i still want to be a princess!

Anonymous said...

I am your newest follower! You are hilarious! I am loving your blog! Hope you have fun at rush!

Sarah B. said...

I've seen this too. When I have kids, I'm going to let my child (regardless of the child's gender) play with both dolls and cars and see which they gravitate towards. If it's one or the other, great, that's what will fill their toy chest. If it's both, that's great too. I'll take a princess or a tomboy for a little girl, should I be blessed to have one someday in the future. I think it's important for a child to find their own identity.

Stacy @ Cardigans and Crayons said...

I haven't seen this...that's crazy. People trying to make everything gender neutral is crazy. God created genders for a reason. We all have a role!