Thursday, January 13, 2011

Unexpected Friends

I haven't written anything about my first semester GPA yet, but I'm going to now. At the beginning of the semester, I wrote this really great post about how I was for sure going to have a 4.0 because I had SO much free time that if I didn't? I was just a plain idiot.

Yeah, I'm eating my words. I didn't end up with a 4.0, I didn't even end up with a 3.0 and if you were gonna round my first semester GPA to the nearest 1, it would be a 2.

I thought I would have a 4.0 before we started factoring crazy equations and all that BS in Algebra. The first test over real numbers? cake. The next few however, were not cake. They were anything but. Oh, and then came the 200 level  Ethics class which I worked really hard in, but the professor didn't want freshman in. Last, but certainly not least, was the GOD AWFUL JR 112 class, Writing for Print Media, which the devil herself, taught. I can't tell you how many times I came to class totally pumped about a piece I had written and left crying because she took one look at my work and said, "this is boring". Or told the whole class that frankly, our work sucked. I woke up to an email from her the day before Thanksgiving Break in which she said that if I had one more spelling mistake (it was my 3rd) she would fail me in the class. Needless to say, I was hysterical.

Long story short, I didn't make the GPA to rush. When prospective students come in to Butler, everyone makes a point to tell the new students that being Greek really isn't a big deal. But let me tell you, it really freakin is. Everyone I know is rushing. However, I already kinda knew I wasn't going to end up with a 2.85, so I wasn't as devastated as you may think.

I'm not writing this post for sympathy, but to tell you how FREAKIN AWESOME people are!

I have gotten 3 really sweet notes from girls who are in sororities at Butler. The first one came from a girl who is from my hometown but I don't know her well. She told me that she saw that I had dropped out of recruitment and that a lot of girls from her sorority were really disappointed. She said that she rushed her Sophomore year too, so if I wanted to talk, she was more than willing. That same day, I got a message from a girl who is also from my hometown but that I'm not sure I've ever spoken to in person who was the president of Delta Gamma. She just wanted to say that she was thinking about me & hoped I was having a good break. & today, DURING RECRUITMENT, I got a text from a girl in the same sorority as the first who said she was really sorry I wasn't able to rush, and she was thinking about me.

I'm honestly blown away by the kindness of all of these girls. They by no means were required to be so nice to me, but at a time when it seems that ALL of my friends are being involved in recruitment, little pieces of encouragement like those mean the world to me.

I'm really happy for all of my girlfriends that are rushing, and I know that everything happens for a reason. More time to work out & work even harder on school work (although 2nd semester won't be nearly as hard as the 1st) and volunteer some too.

When life gives ya lemons, make lemonade, huh? 

3 comments:

Blair@HeirtoBlair said...

I am so, so thankful that you are getting to see the sisterhood that erupts in Greek life. That it is so much more than parties & connections, but it's about sincere kindness & community.

I went through as a Sophomore as well - honestly? It's better to go through a year later. You know more about YOU & it's easier to pick the sorority that really, truly fits you. & I still ended up President my senior year ;)

Megan said...

I love your positivity, Ali. And I think it's great that you were on the receiving end of all of that kindness and caring! There's always next year, and like Blair said, it's probably better to rush after you've been there a whole year. You'll be more knowledgeable of campus, yourself, those around you, and time management in college.

Ali said...

You guys both rock my socks & I seriously love you both. I love the bloggy world!